Tuesday, March 14, 2017

A visit with a new friend to Teotitlan del Valle, the famous village of rug weavers

We started at the village church, with its preserved Zapotec relief art




I love all the color in the tower dome



Blocks with Zapotec art are thrown in here and there



Yacyara was even more of an enthusiastic photographer than I was

Visiting the craft marketplace, this weaver was very generous with his time, explaining much of the whole process to Yacyara


We watched him work on this piece for a while, with its exquisite blues

He had quite the selection of rugs for sale, but I'm putting off such a purchase at least for now

Some of the items used to make the dye colors

I loved this little porch, with it's flower pots

Behind the church is a newly renovated Archeological zone

Because of all the tourists that come to Teotitlan, there is great restaurants and a very well kept up village


We had lunch at a restaurant that was also a rug gallery


Yacyara ordered rice, beans, and raw vegetables

Probably the best taco of my entire life, filled with quite a variety of foods, and with a blue corn tortilla!

Now the real fun began, yarn shopping! 
Before final purchases, we took a tour of the dying process



Yacyara bought even more than I did. It was my 3rd time buying at this particular shop.

Next, another visit to the Dixza rugs and organic farm, with AirBnB rooms to rent! Highly recommended. 



A final walk around the church, and I got this snap of the town's wonderfully decorated trash truck

Waiting for the final bus back into Oaxaca City, with plastic bag stuffed with colorful yarn







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Jay! I love seeing this world you have entered!
    I tried to subscribe to your posts, but I think the link is down.
    Best, Max Reif (Cyber-SmokeSignals is an old handle I can't get rid of)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max, and congrats for being to first to leave a comment on this blog :D

      Delete